Saturday, May 1, 2010

A Saturday out and about

Today's plan was to take the girls with me to Solo and Ensemble Festival. Because it was supposed to be a LOOOONG day, I promised them that we'd go see the "princesses" after it was over (at the SV prom). I also threatened that if they weren't good, the music police would come and get them...after twenty minutes of Ivy obsessing about the music police, I had to tell her it wasn't true.

But, S&E ended at 1 PM instead of 4:30 PM...and the prom didn't start until 6. What on earth was I going to do with the two of them out in public for 5 hours??? I could have just gone home...but then Ivy would have been really mad at me. And I am starting to learn that she is both an elephant and my mom- she never forgets, and she can hold a grudge unlike anyone I know. So leaving was not an option.

Luckily, I could post my problem as a facebook status and get instant answers to my dilemma. We went to JC Penney's. We looked at kid clothes, purses, bathing suits. When we went to the "lingerie" section, both kids, for some reason, had to touch the cups of every bra. And not in a cute way, in a very embarrassing way. I thought it best to hightail it back to purses, so I tried to get them to leave, but they diabolically planned to dive IN to separate racks of bras, which had me yelling, counting to three, and dragging them out, dropping my purse in the process....which of course spilled out into the main aisle.

The dressing room was entertaining. I think the people in the other booths thought I was beating the kids. They threw a fit when I made them stop wrestling each other in front of the mirror.

Managing to make it out of JCP alive, I had no idea what to do next. I vaguely thought it would be a good idea to give up and retreat homeward...but then I decided we'd go to a movie.

We went to see How to Train Your Dragon. Or maybe it's A Dragon. I can't remember.

Three minutes in, Story had one lens of her 3D glasses popped out and was trying to engage the toddler in the row behind us. Luckily, Ivy and I were so scared of 3D dragons, we didn't pay much attention to it. Story went to sleep about 15 minutes in, so then Ivy and I were free to enjoy.

And we talked very loudly to each other throughout the movie. Nice to know she's got one of my traits.

When it was over, we went to see the "princesses." It was a good 15 minutes or so before they were tired of it. When I suggested leaving, they threw a fit...apparently playing in cigarette butt-filled gravel is too much of a good time. They needed more. I could only draw them away by suggesting the playground across the street. I said ten minutes, we spent 50.

And probably only left because it was POURING after 50 minutes. Even then, I had to call Ivy off of the slide...she cried the entire way to the car. She didn't even want to sing "Singing in the Rain." What a dud.

No comments: