Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Scarred for Life

I'm pretty worried about what I've done to Story. See, in the Tracee school of potty training, I try all the feel-good stuff (sticker charts, rewards, positive thinking). Then, I get impatient and I move to shame.

I guilted both of my kids into using the potty by complaining about cleaning up their messes, making them apologize to their panties and the potty, and mentioning all the people they know who do use the potty. This seems to work faster than the other way. Ivy turned out okay.

With Story, though, it seems to have added an unwanted reaction. This evening, she was trying to get her pants and tutu down for the potty....but her bladder wouldn't wait. From the kitchen I heard her shriek, "MOMMY! I SORRY! I SO SORRY!!!!" I rushed into the bathroom to find her standing in a puddle.

My poor baby. I comforted her, told her it was okay, and then ran bathwater for her. She was really upset that she missed the potty.

Did I do that? I mean, I thought it was okay...she is using the potty, you know. Could I have scarred her for life? And if I did, will that cause her to pee the bed later????

2 comments:

Adrian said...

i think she was concerned she hurt the tutu's feelings.

Dakoda said...

umm yeah tracee i would soo be worried that you might have scared her into thinking that if she doesn't always make it she will be looked down upon...but what do i know...atleast 1/2 children is using the potty right =]