Sunday, May 9, 2010

Happy Mother's Day to me!

I woke up with good intentions. I was going to get the kids ready and go to church.

One cup of coffee and one facebook check later, I realized the bags were all still in the car from All-District Band. Bummer. I knew I couldn't unload it all and be ready in time for church, but then again, I knew I couldn't just unload the toiletries. So, I nixed the church plan. My husband went golfing, after he unloaded everything.

I decided I'd take my time today. No laundry, just unpacking and straightening up. The kids woke up, and I made bagels. Ivy asked me if she could watch her shows while we ate, but I explained to her that on Mother's day, Mommy got to watch Law and Order on the big TV while she ate her bagel, which resulted in Ivy taking her bagel upstairs (only dropping it twice on the hardwood en route).

I ended up doing nothing for awhile. I couldn't put my kindle down. (I'm reading an Anita Blake novel).


Story came to sit with me on the couch. I turned on the Disney channel (since I was reading) and we had some good snuggle time (after she'd pulled my hair and tried to bite my nose off a couple of times). Suddenly I was very warm and very tired. I took a quick nap (not something I do often when alone with the kids- kind of keeps me from waking up to the house burning, ya know?) and woke up when Story jumped off of my stomach onto the floor.

I stretched and yawned. I made lunch. I ambled through the house sleepily not really remembering what I had to do. Oh yeah, unpack. I wasn't looking forward to it.

Mid-unpacking, I realized that the sheets had been on the bed for two weeks. I had to change them. I stopped right in the middle of taking clothes out of the suitcase and changed my sheets. It felt better. Then, I looked down and noticed that the floors were so dirty! I ran for the dustmop.

Halfway there, I remembered that I couldn't sweep until I unpacked. So, I trotted back to the bedroom, unpacked the rest of the stuff, and then ran back for the dustmop. After the floors were swept, I mopped them with the Shark. You know I can't leave the floor swept but un-mopped!!

I left the floor stuff in the living room and went to tackle Ivy's room. It was hard. I set all the little things up in the Barbie house, and then changed the sheets. I put dirty laundry in the hamper, and then hung up clean clothes. I also cleaned off and refolded two shelves of her closet. Seriously, they were bad.

I went to Story's room next, otherwise known as the 6th level of Hell. Why? Because every tiny Barbie and Polly Pocket thing is imbedded in the shag carpet. It's a nightmare. I spent what felt like three days picking all that i could nee with the human eye up and bagging it. Then, I took all the toys in the bins and dumped them in the playroom upstairs. (Why? Because Daddy and Ivy were going to clean the playroom later!!!)

Finally, I had everything in place. I got the vacuum and swept both rooms. I went back to the living room where the dustmop and Shark were staring at me. I felt guilty. Looking around, I noticed the floor had lots of doggy paw prints. It seemed as thought the Shark was saying, "Look! I can fix that for you!" So, I cleaned the floors.

To make a long story short (and stop boring you with details), during the course of the day, I also managed to guilt myself into cleaning up the whole kitchen. And it's all clean. I hope to keep it that way all week. (Yeah, right)

Even though I really wanted to take a day and do next to nothing, I was secretly glad the house was clean, That is, until Story dumped the bag of Barbie accessories in her room back in to the carpet.

No comments: