Sunday, May 9, 2010

Pillow fight

Ivy and Story were fighting over a puzzle. I tried to let them "fight it out on their own," (see earlier post), but after a few seconds I realized they were both tired and not their rational selves. (Insert funny laugh).

So, I brought them both over to the couch where they cried and screamed and tried to simultaneously get down and fight each other. I tried to talk calmly about who had the puzzle first, etc. which is a trick I use sometimes. If I can get them to talk about it long enough, then switch the conversation smoothly to something else, they cease to fight over the original item. Of course, that means that in ten minutes they will fight over something else.

In this case, when I thought I had them diverted, I lessened my grip, and they both rushed over to the puzzle and resumed their earlier skirmish with renewed violence. Ivy hit Story, she hit Ivy. I realized that as a Mom of the Year candidate, I could not allow this to go on.

So, I tried calling to them, offering other options, and finally begging. The hitting did not stop. So, I tried a diversionary tactic. I grabbed two throw pillows off the couch, crawled stealthily over to the chaise, and launched one lightly at the girls.

It hit Story on the back.

She immediately let out a wail and fell over on her side. Ivy, however was laughing. Pillow number two ready in hand, I swung it up in a perfect arc and hit her...on top of the head. Ivy then joined in the screaming, which was becoming much louder than the fight had been.

Instantly feeling shame, I rushed over to the girls, scooped them up in my arms and went back to the couch. Ivy cuddled into me, sobbing deeply. Story tried to escape my arms.

I felt bad. Really bad. Had the pillows hurt them? Were they just too tired? I thought they would laugh at me and come attack me with pillows!

Story managed to squirm off my lap and run back to the puzzle. She flopped her body down on the hardwood floor (ouch!) and started screaming, "I want my DADDY!!!!!!!!!!!!" I was really sad, then.

Ivy forgave me, though, and started smiling. "Did it hurt you?" I asked. She smiled and said, "No, Mommy."

"Then why are you crying?"

She laughed. "I don't know!" So, I was about to get really mad at myself for nothing?

Story was still screaming for her Daddy. I went and picked her up again and brought her back to the couch. I said, "Story, I'm sorry, did the pillow hurt you?"

"No!!!!!!!!"

Awww, poor baby." I cradled her in my arms. "Do you still love me?"

"No, I love DADDY!!!!!" Ouch.

"Well, I love Mommy," Ivy offered. You go, girl! Then, she kissed me on the cheek.

Not to be outdone, Story proclaimed, "I love Mommy TOO!!!!!!!!!!!" and then kissed me. Ahhh, playing the "copy the other sister card." I'm definitely not above it.

No comments: