Friday, May 14, 2010

SURE

Ivy's new favorite word? SURE.

She uses it in place of the word YES, which can make her intentions very confusing.

Ivy, would you like to wear this? SURE. I mean, you could wear this instead. SURE.

Ivy, do you want chicken nuggets and ketchup for dinner? SURE. Well, we could have something else.

Ivy, would you like a sucker? SURE.

Ivy, did you hit your sister? SURE.

Ivy, did you eat your lunch? SURE.

Ivy, did you brush your teeth? SURE.

Do you want to play Candyland? SURE.

Will you let the dog out? SURE.

I'm not sure about people who don't teach middle school kids, but everytime I hear someone answer a question with the word "SURE," I think one of three things.
  1. They really don't want to do/eat/wear that.
  2. They are upset that I asked the question.
  3. They are being a smart aleck.
It was entirely possible that Ivy just thought SURE meant YES. So, tonight when I asked if she wanted a Happy Meal, and she responded with the now regular SURE, I said, "Ivy, did you mean 'yes'?"

"Sure, Mommy." Ugh.

"Ivy, SURE doesn't mean yes...it means...um, I don't care or I don't really want to but I will."

"Mommy, it means YES."

"Well, I know it does, but when you say that I don't really know if you really want a Happy Meal."

"Oh."

You know what's exciting? All evening, when we ask her a question, she says, "Su- I mean yes, Mommy."

Score one for the Mommy!!!!!

2 comments:

Tober the Cat said...

Go Mommy! You show that kidlet who's Boss.

EN said...

Way to go Mom!!!