Sunday, April 18, 2010

Kool-Aid vs. Juice

So, here's my latest entry for Mom of the Year- I give my kids Kool-Aid.

My kids don't like juice really. And juice is expensive. I'd probably spend $10 a week in juice, but it takes me 3 months to spend $10 on kool-aid.

Plus, juice has all sorts of sugar in it. I control how much sugar I put in Kool-Aid. And I usually put less than what the package says. In fact, my husband hates my kool-aid because it tastes like water. So, that's good, right? My kids are practically drinking water!


If I run out of kool-aid, I always have more to make right then. If I run out of juice, well, that's a trip to the store! Time wasted that I could be spending with my kids! (Okay, that's a lie, it's time wasted that I could be spending on facebook.)

And I feed the kids fruit. I think I read somewhere that it was actually better to feed them the fruit than for them to drink it. So, technically, I'm an awesome mom for giving them *almost* water to drink AND feeding them fruit, right? (Let's not think about how wild they are, okay? Just focus on the theory.)

In this train of thought, I should also be applauded for my constant use of ketchup (lycopene, people!) and the way I push cereal (vitamins!). Yeah, they eat fries, but I bake them, which everyone knows is waaaay better than putting them in oil! And the only candy they consume is what they get when Mommy's not paying attention and they drag the stool over to the countertop and rummage the top cabinets where I keep my stash. Okay, it's technically their holiday candy that I hide from them for my own use, but that's just one more awesome mom quality! I hide candy from my kids!

Now that I have confessed my greatness, the next time I hear a knock at the door, I'll open it widely welcoming the Mom of the Year committee proudly into my house....or I'll be hiding under the bed from the social workers.

No comments: