Friday, April 23, 2010

Hair bands

There was a small piece of a hair band floating in the tub as the water ran out.

"Mommy," Ivy said, "can that hair band go down the drain?"

I looked up. "Yes, it'll be fine." I said.

"But where will it go" she asked.

"Down the drain."

"But where?"

"The sewer."

"What's the sewer?"

I said I didn't know. She contered with, "What if another hair band goes down the drain?"

"We'll get more."

"What if they ALL went down the drain? I would be so sad. I like my hair bands."

"Ivy," I said, "There is no way ALL the hair bands will go down the drain." *Mentally knocking on wood.*

"What if you put them down the drain?"

"I wouldn't."

"You might," she said.

"I won't."

"But what if they accidentally go down the drain?" she asked. At this point, I was trying hard not to bang my head against the wall.

"Ivy, that's not going to happen."

"It might."

"It won't. We'll buy more."

"But they won't be the same."

"Yes they will."

"Mommy, what if all the hair bands in the world go down the drain?"

"They won't."

"Why?"

"Because."

"Because why? How do you know?"

I stared her down and refused to answer.

"Okay," she said. After a short pause, she asked meekly, "Are you sure?"

No comments: