Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Ivy's report card

Today Ivy got her first report card. It was a chart of things her class works on, and a letter that symbolized her progress on that item.

Ivy's teacher gave it to me when I picked her up from her room today. He said if we (parents) wanted to talk about it to wait until he took the class to the cafeteria, then he'd be back to discuss it.

So, I sat down in a chair next to one of Ivy's friends, and she sat on my lap. I looked at the chart and say several P's and D's....I immediately think "proficient" and "distinguished," and was so proud of my little girl.

Then I look at the key...P means "proficient" but D means "developing."

On the attitude portion (you know the part that has "listens to directions" and "interacts with peers") she has ALL D'S!!!!

(On a side note, you should know that I'm pretty competitive- and not the good kind either. I tend to imagine that I'm not competitive at all until I notice something is not up to snuff...then I become a pageant mom.)

After playing the high five game with Ivy and her friend (you know, gimme five, up high, down low, too slow), I start to quiz Ivy. I say, "Ivy, do you get along with your peers? I mean, friends?

She says, "Yes, Mommy."

I say, "Well, your report card says that you are only "developing" your ability to do that. What about listening to directions? Do you listen to directions?"

Ivy says, "Yes, Mommy, I always do."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes!"

"Well, that's not what your report card says."

Ivy then bursts into tears and starts wailing at the top of her lungs. In a classroom where 6 adults are sitting in kiddie chairs and 6 little kids are asking, "Ivy! What's wrong? What's wrong?"

I start whispering in her ear to calm down, we'll talk about it later, which only causes her to cry louder. By this time, every parent in the room is eyeing me with suspicion. Who is this strange lady who is making her little girl cry over a report card? It's your kids' music teacher, folks!

I finally get her to calm down, and then I just take her out of the room. What kind of a monster am I? I wonder. One who wants her kid to be the best!! the competitive part of me answers.

After I'd stashed Ivy at the afterschool program, I went back, where Ivy's teacher told me she was doing just fine, and her P's and D's were top of the line.

And then I had to tell Ivy that yes, her Mommy was wrong. She actually was good in school. (She'd better be! that voice whispers again.)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love it!! It's funny when we have our teacher hats on we think that parents make way to big of a deal out of nothing and then when it's our turn we morph into these psycho parents!
Congrats to Ivy though, P's and D's are awesome! I know you are a proud mommy!:)

Molly said...

Report cards for Kindergarten should be S and U. Now do you see why I threw such a fit when Andi got hers in Hilliard. Dumb! You were always at the top of the class in everything and you read on a 3rd grade level in kindergarten.
Love Mom