Friday, July 9, 2010

Daddy's morning

This morning, I did my "really early grocery trip" where I try to get to Wal-mart before seven so I can shop in peace and actually think without having to respond to phrases such as "I want DOWN" and "Mommy, she pinched me!!!"

I woke Rob up about seven and told him I was leaving. The kids are never up before nine, so he usually doesn't even realize he's watching them. This morning was different.

Story woke up at 7:20. "Mommy mommy mommy mommy mommy," she chanted. Rob heard her over the baby monitor. He got up, pulled her out of the crib. He went to the bathroom. When he came back, she was laying on the couch. "Want to go lay on Daddy's bed?" he asked.

"No."

"Want to go to Mommy's bed?"

"Yesh."

So, when she went to "Mommy's bed" she found out that Mommy wasn't there and started crying. After a minute, she was content to lie on my side. Rob went back to sleep. Five minutes later, she said, "Daddy I firsty."

He went and got her cup out of her bed, gave it to her, and laid down. "Daddy, I no want water, I want juice." He got up, filled the cup with juice and laid back down.

Somewhere in the middle of the next dream, Story said, "Daddy, I need a band-aid." He went back to sleep, and a couple of minutes later she was back in bed with a box of band-aids. "Daddy, o-pen!!" Rob groggily opened a band-aid and rolled over. Ten minutes went by before she said, "Okay, I done wif band-aid." Rob pulled it off of her. "Ow!" she squealed.

Then, Ivy came in. Rob got up again and searched for the TV remote. After finding it, he put on cartoons and went back to sleep.

I got home and the house was quiet. I thought everyone was asleep. I brought the groceries in and laid them down quietly on the floor. "Mommy!!!! Mommy!!!!" Ivy and Story screamed, and rushed me in the kitchen. They ooohed and ahhhed over the things I'd bought. Then, they started taking the groceries in to show Daddy, who was still trying to sleep.

I made them breakfast, and then Story started crying for bologna. Except I had no idea what she was asking for. She opened the fridge door and started to clin=mb the shelves when I got up and stopped her.

Then she screamed. A lot. Rob yelled from the bedroom, "Story! Stop yelling!!" I felt bad for him, so I went in the bedroom, turned Dora off the TV, and shut the door. Ivy was in bed, but I hadn't seen her. "Daddy....Daddy!" she yelled. "Why did Mommy turn off the TV??" At this point, Rob knew he'd lost the battle, and finally got up.

When he told me this story, I couldn't stop laughing. I've lived this morning many many times.

No comments: